Hearing loss may be a health condition that won’t kill you; but it can certainly affect the quality of your life. It’s also a health concern that is affecting more people than what you think it is. In the United States alone, more than 30 million people aged 12 years or older has hearing loss in both ears.
In case you’re not convinced that you have hearing problems, check out if you’re experiencing any of the following five signs you need a hearing assessment or test:
- You have problems hearing people on the other line. Do you need to amp the volume control setting of your smart phone or landline phone, even if you are in a relatively quiet environment? If you do, then chances are you have a hearing loss and you need to see a professional soon.
- You have problems following a conversation when people are talking simultaneously. Do you have a hard time keeping up with the conversation when you are at a work meeting? Do you often complain that you can’t understand what your partner and child say when you are eating dinner with them? If you said yes to both questions, then it is likely that you have hearing loss.
- You always have to amp the TV volume. This is one of the most obvious signs of a hearing loss. If the entire family complains that you always watch TV with the volume on high level, then it is very likely you have hearing loss.
- You often say “what?”. This is another clear sign that you need to undergo a hearing assessment. If you say a “what” a lot more than a couple of times a day, then it is very likely you have hearing loss. If the word ‘what” has become part of your daily vocabulary, it simply means that you are not getting the sound signals your brain needs to process sound accurately. Another related sign to this is when you ask people to repeat themselves.
- You can no longer hear sounds in the household, like the ringing of a doorbell, the ringing of the telephone, or dripping of a faucet.
If you experience any of these signs, then you should not hesitate to undergo a hearing assessment or test immediately. Hearing loss is a condition that you should not take for granted as it can affect the quality of your life in the long run.
For more details of our hearing test and hearing aid prescription services, please contact HK Hearing & Speech Centre.
HK Hearing & Speech Centre
Specialist of Hearing test & assessment,
and Hearing Aid Prescription